Thursday, June 30, 2011

Another 'I Love Terry Pegula' Blog

I’m the youngest of 7 kids. We didn’t get Burger King, we got home burgers. We didn’t get Coco Puffs or even Cheerios. We got Toasted Oats and generic bags of a cereal called Wheat Puffs.


Every once and a while, my Dad’s friend, Uncle Leo, would take us fishing. Going fishing with Uncle Leo always meant a trip to McDonald’s. I’m told we used to reach over the seat and grab his head and turn it towards a McDonald’s if we were driving past one.


That’s how it feels to be a Sabre fan today. It feels like I’m in the back seat of Uncle Leo’s car. Only, instead of Uncle Leo, it’s Uncle Terry; and we’re driving past Brad Richards and I’m grabbing Uncle Terry’s head and turning it in that direction.


I don’t even know if I want Brad Richards, but I’m so sick of Wheat Puffs that I’m gonna eat three bowls of Brad Richards before I go to bed.
Buffalo fans have grown tired of watching Dominik Hasek and Jason Peters go off to the places that pay. We’re sick of hearing terms like ‘fiscal responsibility’ and ‘cash to the cap’.


I think Buffalo Sports fans are so sick of eating the cheap cereal that they might not even mind my posting the 400th ‘We Love Terry Pegula’ article on this site. Obviously, the Sabres can make every right move and it still will not guarantee a Stanley Cup. The team could make a series of horrible moves over the course of the next few weeks and blow up a stable roster foundation but Sports is an escape and it’s supposed to be fun, not painful.


This is fun. And, like I did when I was a kid, I’m going to make sure I don’t finish my pop until I get home so I can show off my cup and gloat to my brothers that I got McDonald’s and they didn’t.


Side Note: I had a very happy childhood, despite endless boxes of Kix and my brother Donny folding me into a couch bed and jumping up and down on it.

No comments: